West Melbourne (Industrial)

The West Melbourne industrial locality encompasses railyards and extends to the Maribyrnong River. Most of the land area is for transport and storage (69% of floorspace) and open space (17%). Combined, the wholesale trade and transport, postal and warehousing sectors employ 86% of workers in the area. Due to exit of local manufacturing enterprises and wholesalers, floorspace has decreased by 20% between 2002 to 2016.

Headline Statistics

4,587

Local Jobs

155

Establishments

$

Median Rental Price

Floor Space in West Melbourne (Industrial)

The pie chart below provides a breakdown of floor space (both occupied and unoccupied) in West Melbourne (Industrial) at 2016.

The chart below shows the change in floor space (both occupied and unoccupied) in West Melbourne (Industrial) between 2002 and 2016.

Detailed Data Tables

The table below provides further detail regarding the mix of floor space in West Melbourne (Industrial).

Download

Category Floor Space (Sqm)
Storage/Wholesale 407,960
Entertainment/ Recreation 612
Accommodation 0
Manufacturing 76,906
Transport 26,928
Retail 13,259
Parking 6,316
Open space 699,542
Transport/Storage Uncovered 2,690,624
Office 21,473
Equipment installation 5,195

The table below provides detail regarding the quantity of floor space by year ( 2002- 2016) in West Melbourne (Industrial).

Download

Year Floor Space (Sqm)
2002 3,496,904
2004 3,502,118
2006 3,449,804
2008 3,385,610
2010 3,364,231
2012 3,278,386
2014 3,243,942
2016 2,803,117
Industries by Employment ( 2016)
The graph below shows the industries located in West Melbourne (Industrial), ordered by the number of jobs in each industry at 2016.
Change in Local Jobs (2002 to 2016)
The graph below details the number of employees in West Melbourne (Industrial) over time. The graph provides an insight into how industry has grown or declined in the local area over the last decade.
Detailed Data Table

Download

Industry Name 2002 2004 2006 2008 2010 2012 2014 2016
Other Services 47 97 144 79 136 43 48 63
Arts and Recreation Services 0 1 9 12 16 85 60 52
Health Care and Social Assistance 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Education and Training 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 0
Public Administration and Safety 15 18 31 36 39 63 37 28
Administrative and Support Services 57 60 8 5 1 0 0 0
Professional, Scientific and Technical Services 35 19 39 68 105 123 129 107
Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services 37 117 115 53 139 188 177 6
Financial and Insurance Services 7 7 7 7 25 37 18 0
Information Media and Telecommunications 2 4 6 46 35 35 29 30
Transport, Postal and Warehousing 2616 2648 3203 3732 3096 3164 3609 3287
Accommodation and Food Services 36 43 40 31 64 94 89 21
Retail Trade 142 194 189 48 56 70 54 48
Wholesale Trade 1685 2319 2585 2217 3174 3847 3994 655
Construction 29 20 23 21 16 163 21 21
Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services 23 30 78 123 110 130 184 135
Manufacturing 388 459 432 250 130 158 166 134
Mining 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing 35 19 29 19 19 19 19 0

West Melbourne (Industrial) Residential Rental Market

Residential Rental Prices (Per Week)

The chart below shows the median rental price for all dwellings in West Melbourne (Industrial) from June 2009.

The green band shows the price range of the middle 50% of rental properties in the area (also referred to as the interquartile range of rental prices). It provides an indication of the spread of rental prices in West Melbourne (Industrial).

Residential Rental Volumes

The chart below shows the number of new leases that commenced in West Melbourne (Industrial) annually.

Detailed Data Table

Download

Period Year Median Price Rental Volume (Commencing Leases)